We are looking for an experienced General Counsel to join the Uniswap Foundation team. This position will report directly to the Executive Director of the Foundation. You will be responsible for legal counsel internally to the Uniswap Foundation’s leadership team. This role requires a candidate with prior experience interpreting federal regulations relevant to Defi, and working with crypto-focused stakeholders and technology partners. Preference for prior experience at a Web3 company, and/or interest in decentralized finance.
Research & Development
- Support UF in developing strategy and communication related to the grants process: projects may include novel smart contract or consensus mechanisms, front ends, data indexing services, etc
- Work with external counsel to draft and submit comment letters to government and regulatory agencies (SEC, CFTC, IRS, etc.)
Operations & Communications
- Work cross-functionally with external legal counsel
- Provide legal support to core operational processes, including IP, copyright, and licensing, contracts, hiring, etc.
- Draft and publish blogs & articles on the Foundation’s views on the evolving regulatory landscape
- Provide guidance on internal and external team communications
- Manage commercial negotiations with grantees & external stakeholders
- Currently practicing as an attorney in the United States, with active NYC bar registration and 8+ years of legal experience
- Experience counselling research, technology, governance and innovation teams in designing grant making investments
- Understanding of AMMs and context around the DeFi ecosystem. Able to build context in new areas (ie hook development, Uniswap smart contracts) quickly
- Clear understanding of the legal underpinnings supporting crypto products
- Experience in litigation with the SEC, CFTC, or other regulatory agencies, and/or working with organizations under regulatory scrutiny
- Experience working and leading cross-functional teams
- Experience advising clients on risk mitigation across operational processes
- Excellent judgment, analytical rigour, clear communication. Ability to translate advanced legal concepts into easily understandable terms
- Cultivating a moderate, well-informed, balanced, and nuanced perspective on regulatory matters
- Nice to have: prior experience in nonprofit investing and grant making
About the Uniswap Foundation
The Uniswap Foundation supports a community of individuals and organizations dedicated to a more open, fair and decentralized financial system. We achieve this mission through three pillars of work: Growth, Innovation, and Stewardship. By providing funding and resources for the continued development and growth of the DeFi ecosystem, the Uniswap Foundation seeks to contribute to the advancement of the DeFi space as a whole, driving greater accessibility, efficiency, and transparency in the financial industry. The Uniswap Foundation is a remote-first company.