At XMTP Labs, we're reimagining the future of decentralized, secure, and portable messaging. We believe that privacy is an inalienable and universal right.
We're committed to creating a powerful communication protocol that is truly open to all. In our vision, users not only own and control their own identity and data, but also benefit economically from their participation, all while breaking free from single-entity control. Our mission at XMTP Labs is to build a secure, open, and decentralized communication protocol that connects creators, communities, applications, and users. If this mission speaks to you, let's build the future of messaging together.
We’re backed by some of the best investors in tech and crypto: a16z Crypto, Offline Ventures, Sound Ventures, Distributed Global, Redpoint, IDEO CoLab and many more key ecosystem investors and operators. See the full list here.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Protocol Researcher with a unique blend of knowledge in economics and engineering. This role will play a pivotal part in the development and implementation of a robust transaction fee mechanism and economic incentive models for our protocol.
- Strong background in protocol engineering with a focus on economics, particularly in the context of blockchain and decentralized systems.
- Proven experience designing or building engineering or economic solutions for protecting permissionless open networks from spam
- Proficient understanding of the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM) and ability to model resource costs and transactions.
- Capacity to assess implementation complexity and fine-tune parameters to meet target requirements.
- Experience in designing and implementing Layer 2 (L2) transaction fee mechanisms
- OR experience in MEV (Maximal Extractable Value) searching methodologies
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in collaboration with diverse teams.
- Excellent communication skills for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Growth mindset: collaboratively propose new ideas, check assumptions, and ask questions of status quo industry models. Ability to evolve with the team and community as learning unfolds.
- Principled design: embrace a principled approach to understanding the system, and use those principles to ground iterative designs.
- Do it in the open: ability to gather feedback from the open source community. Understands the importance of credibly engaging with the open source community. Can overcome blockers keeping them from engaging in community forums and discussion channels on design proposals.
- Design and Prototype Development: Collaborate with the Principal Protocol Engineer to design and prototype innovative mechanisms for transaction fee mechanisms and economic incentive models. This will involve:
- Building assumptions and identifying guiding principles.
- Modeling to understand assumptions, uncover risks, and iterate designs.
- Iteratively testing and refining these models for feasibility and risk assessment.
- Documentation and Communication: Document the design of transaction fee mechanisms and economic incentive models, and effectively communicate these through various mediums like forum contributions and blog posts.
- Validation and Formal Assessment: Independently develop mathematical models or simulations to validate transaction fee mechanisms and economic incentive models. This includes formally assessing system assumptions and risks, and potentially overseeing third-party validation efforts.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Interface with key internal and external stakeholders to ensure the alignment of design proposals with the target developer and user experiences.
- Generous and competitive compensation package
- Remote-first environment with semi-yearly gatherings to connect IRL
- Full paid Medical, Dental, Vision insurance
- Parental Leave
- IT Equipment and WFH setup
- Monthly Wellness and Lifestyle stipend
- Personal assistant
- Flexible vacation (with minimum requirements to ensure rest and time-off to pursue your passions outside of work)
- And much more!
We think of ourselves as a “grown-up” startup—building a company that’s fair, equitable, and rewarding for everyone to work at, with an emphasis on having fun while building an ambitious project.
Joining XMTP Labs today represents not just an opportunity to play a key role in building an essential part of the next web, but also in establishing the core DNA of the company.
Here's an inside look at XMTP and some of the frequently asked questions about our culture, answered by one of our co-founders and core team members.
XMTP, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building an inclusive team with a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills. We value diversity at our company and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Please notify your recruiter of any disabilities or time preferences based off your current location and time zone.