Lightspark is the easiest, most reliable, enterprise-grade gateway to the Lightning Network, enabling money to move just like bits and bytes do on the Internet. Lightspark services aim to be the fastest, lowest cost, easiest and most reliable way to send and receive payments globally using Lightning. We want to deliver open payments for the Internet at scale and we’re laser-focused on solving real problems for our customers with best-in-class innovative software solutions. We aim to help businesses around the world benefit from real time payments and build amazing new experiences for themselves and their customers. Lightspark is headquartered in Los Angeles but serving the world.
Lightspark is seeking a Senior Data Engineer to join the Data Science team. As a Senior Data Engineer at Lightspark, you will have the opportunity to lead core data engineering initiatives that touch many aspects of the company – from Product and Engineering to Strategy and Legal, to Accounting and Finance.
Data Engineers at Lightspark are highly entrepreneurial. You must be passionate about building and excited to tackle an array of interesting problems. The role is a fusion of a Strategic Partner and a full-stack Data Scientist.
You will have a strong sense of ownership and the ability to lead and shape Lightspark’s business and data engineering initiatives. You must be adept at navigating various functions while also operating independently. You will have the capacity to wield both analytical and strategic capabilities across domains. This will span everything from analyzing current operations to charting long-term initiatives that will drive Lightspark’s path to success.
What you’ll be doing:
- Designing and measuring key product, operational, and risk metrics to surface critical insights to the Strategy, Data Science, and Engineering teams.
- Conceptualize, build, and own Lightspark’s data analytics architecture and infrastructure, including overall design, data models, and data pipelines.
- Working with our Machine Learning, Data Science, and Engineering teams to build scalable and efficient data models to advance Lightspark’s product and strategy initiatives.
- Design, lead, and implement security models for Lightspark’s data systems, including privacy requirements, governance processes, and data quality controls.
- Operate as a strategic partner from Data Science to functional teams, using strategic thinking and technical excellence to inform key business and product decisions.
- Guide and inform Lightspark’s business operations, supporting Lightspark’s Legal, Finance, and Accounting teams to ensure Lightspark’s business operations are documented accurately.
- Analyzing large and complex datasets to guide Lightspark’s strategic priorities.
What we are looking for:
- M.S / BA / BS degree in a technical field (Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science) with 5+ years of experience or a Ph.D in a technical field with 2+ years of experience
- Experience working in a fast-paced, startup environment ideally in tech, payments, crypto, or blockchain companies
- Experience working on a wide variety of problems cross-functionally
- Experience understanding and applying statistical concepts (including causal inference, machine learning, and experimentation).
- Experience working as a full-stack Data Scientist, including writing data pipelines, modeling theory, writing code, and deploying applications in production systems.
- Experience programming and modeling in Python and data analysis in Pandas / Numpy / SQL.
- Experience with ETL, data pipelines, and workflow management tools such as Stitch, Fivetran, or Airflow.
- Experience architecting and using massively parallel processing technology, such as Google Bigquery, Snowflake, Redshift, etc.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Willing to live or relocate to our HQ in Los Angeles, California
Lightspark is on a mission to build an open payment protocol for the Internet at scale and therefore we’re committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace to reflect the customers we serve. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.