About the Company
Valon’s mission is to empower every homeowner. We believe the journey of home ownership starts when you get your keys, but lasts far beyond. We’re creating a world where home ownership comes with ease, security, and financial know-how. Our growing team of engineers, operators, product enthusiasts, and experienced servicing professionals are leveraging technology to fundamentally improve the homeownership experience. Through mortgage servicing—the process of paying off one’s mortgage—Valon is taking the first step in transforming the industry one homeowner, and lender, at a time.
Engineering at Valon
We are building a world-class engineering team to automate one of the most regulated spaces in the financial sector - the mortgage and housing industry. We come from companies like Google, Facebook, Spotify, Oscar Health, and Twilio. You’ll join a small, tight-knit group of engineers who are developing flexible backend architecture to accurately handle billions of dollars at scale. In addition, our team of engineers is fulfilling Valon’s mission by creating a great user experience to help homeowners manage their mortgages through a platform that delivers new features quickly and with quality. Our tech stack is built on Python, React, Docker, Kubernetes, and Google Cloud Platform.
As a member of the Platform team, you’ll be building services and tools that enable the entire engineering team to ship high quality software. In particular, we work on scaling our systems so they can support our growth as a business. For example, we support an internal product called Batch Processing that allows product teams to parallelize their workloads. We already process millions of workloads a day and are working on several hard problems to ensure our systems keep up.
This role is for working on Database Infrastructure, within the Platform Team. You will be responsible for all of the database interfaces and experiences that Valon engineers use on a daily basis. The goal is to make it incredibly easy to build scalable, reliable applications that depend on Valon’s databases. You will also be responsible for exposing the database architecture as a platform, giving developers insights into how they are using the databases and ways that can improve that interaction. How easy it is to use these interfaces is directly related to how productive Valon engineers feel. Scaling our database architecture is both a complex and exciting task that is essential for Valon’s success. We are looking for engineers who are excited by challenging distributed system problems, data abstractions and want to focus on internal developer experience.
- Design and build robust and extensible infrastructure to scale our systems to accurately handle hundreds of billions of dollars.
- Integrate tools to monitor the reliability, availability, and performance of our production database systems.
- Prioritize and build the most important platform features for the engineering team.
- Learn new concepts and technologies quickly and apply them to challenging problems.
- Build a strong culture of incident response and blameless postmortems.
- Have 4+ years of experience building infrastructure components / services at scale.
- Experience building and scaling distributed systems as an individual contributor.
- Strong communicator. Able to work cross-functionally to balance product and technical requirements. Believe in making data-driven decisions and strive to continually improve the ways to measure a system.
- Great at building scalable systems from scratch with a fast turnaround.
- Time management skills that will maximize efficiency in a fast paced startup environment.
- Base Compensation Band: $175,000 - $205,000
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance plans
- Flexible sick and vacation days
- Monthly lunch stipends (groceries qualify!)
- Commuter benefits
- MacBook, custom accessories, ergonomic equipment
- Support for H1B, TN, and E-3 Visa change of employer transfers
This Base Compensation pay range applies to our New York City located staff and may differ according to location.
New York Base Compensation Pay Range