Apply for this job
*Scroll has a remote-first work culture, our staff base is globally distributed and we are location agnostic. We make hiring decisions based on talent, culture fit and role suitability. If you have the skills and experience requested by this job description then please APPLY!
At Scroll, we operate on the bleeding edge of a fast-moving frontier of zk technology, research and innovation. The senior zk Engineer will be responsible for pushing us ahead of this curve, making this hire critically important to our continued visibility and success. The role is ideal for an individual who thrives in a start-up environment, a self-starter that is dynamic and comfortable to take on responsibilities and can work effectively within a remote setup.
Scroll is building an open source, bytecode level compatible zkEVM layer 2 solution for Ethereum. Our mission is to scale Ethereum while maintaining our values of credible neutrality, openness, and community driven.
- As a Sr. zk Enginner you will design, build and optimize one of the world’s most complex circuits—the zkEVM—to deliver higher throughput and faster finality time, lower proof generation costs, and an elevated experience to users. This will represent a massive impact on Scroll, our layer 2 network, and the broader Ethereum roadmap and ecosystem;
- As well, you will be asked to keep us apprised of the latest zk literature and research in the industry. And you will get to collaborate externally with the brightest minds in the zk and blockchain communities, while enhancing our brand and visibility within those communities;
- Day-to-day, you will work on circuit optimization, zk circuit or zk prover implementation. And as a senior engineer, you will also be asked to guide more junior developers, share your expertise, and ensure we continue to write and implement high-quality code;
- Come join us, and work alongside other deeply-driven technical minds, in a culture defined by openness, autonomy, and ownership;
- Excellent coding skills in one or more of Rust or C++;
- Outstanding coding standards: Proficient in open-source contributions, ensuring code correctness, performance, and maintainability, with strong developer practices. Skilled in performance profiling, optimization, and collaborating well with other developers via tools like Notion and GitHub;
- You can quickly and independently take an idea, feature or project from designing the spec, to implementing a PoC to verify, and then production. You can guide and lead more junior developers through this process, and enjoy getting to do it;
- Knowledge of recent zk proof technology – r1cs, plonkish, AIR, stark;
- Broad knowledge of computer science and system design:end-to-end system development of real-world applications, and/or performance optimization;
- You own, take action and operate proactively, independently, and with openness and transparency;
- Confident, but humble and low ego, your demonstrated ability to learn quickly and systematically break problems down into smaller pieces motivates and inspires others around you;
- You enjoy collaborating with others and excel at communicating with them, asynchronously and across cultures. You speak and write (documentation, specs, Slack, etc), clearly and concisely.
Nice to Have:
- Familiarity with blockchain.
- Familiarity with Ethereum, EVM, L2s, Rollups, ZK.
- Solid in math, especially cryptography.
- Skilled in developing, optimizing, and writing real-world zk circuits, including applications like mixers and signature verification.
- Technical publications and/or articles, Twitter threads, etc.
- The ability to speak Mandarin Chinese.
- You are a self-starter and ability to take ownership, well organised, self-disciplined and effective when working autonomously on tasks and projects;
- You are responsive, collaborative and committed person with a high work ethic;
- You are a high class communicator who can articulate their views succinctly on calls or asynchronously in globally distributed, remote teams;
- You relish working in an agile start-up environment;
- You are a great listener who understands when to listen first and engages well with colleagues;
- You are a resilient, driven individual who is willing and able to continually develop and iterate to succeed;
What We Offer:
- A mission-led, collaborative culture
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology and like-minded people who are contributing to the progression of Ethereum
- Competitive salary package / generous paid time off / annual growth budget
- Remote from any location with flexible hours
- Home office set up / co-working membership allowance
- Private healthcare in selected countries
Scroll is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need, please let us know and we'll do our best to accommodate.