About the Company
Valon’s mission is to empower every homeowner. We believe the journey of home ownership starts when you get your keys, but lasts far beyond. We’re creating a world where home ownership comes with ease, security, and financial know-how. Our growing team of engineers, operators, product enthusiasts, and experienced servicing professionals are leveraging technology to fundamentally improve the homeownership experience. Through mortgage servicing—the process of paying off one’s mortgage—Valon is taking the first step in transforming the industry one homeowner, and lender, at a time.
Special Products & Loans at Valon
Valon’s Special Products Team is responsible for managing core business processes for SCRA-protected loans, MERS, ARMs, successors in interest, co-ops, assumptions, and partial release requests. We are a team of creative individuals who approach servicing challenges with an innovative mindset. We aim to help homeowners resolve special servicing needs while providing a first-class experience with Valon, all from behind the scenes.
About the role
As a key player behind the scenes, the Special Products Specialist is responsible for overseeing SCRA-protected loans, coordinating recasts, processing assumptions, managing successor in interest transactions, and handling partial release requests. The ideal candidate brings a strong background in financial services, particularly in loan servicing or mortgage operations, and possesses expertise in navigating complex loan transactions while ensuring compliance with relevant regulations such as the Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act (SCRA). The role requires creative problem-solving skills, an innovative mindset to approach servicing challenges, and effective collaboration with cross-functional teams. The Special Products Specialist plays a crucial role in providing a first-class experience for homeowners with special servicing needs, contributing to the overall success and efficiency of Valon's operations.
- Oversee and handle loans protected under the Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act (SCRA).
- Ensure compliance with SCRA regulations and guidelines in loan management processes.
- Handle and coordinate loan recast processes, which may involve adjusting the terms of the loan, such as the monthly payment amount or the interest rate.
- Facilitate and process loan assumptions, where a new borrower takes over an existing loan with the approval of the lender.
- Manage successor in interest transactions, involving the transfer of the loan obligation to a new party due to various circumstances such as inheritance or divorce.
- Evaluate and process requests for partial release of collateral, which may involve releasing a portion of the property from the mortgage lien.
- Work closely with other teams within Valon, such as customer service, legal, and loan origination, to ensure smooth and efficient handling of special servicing needs.
- Stay updated on industry regulations and guidelines, especially those related to special loan servicing, to ensure compliance in all processes.
- Strive to provide a first-class experience for homeowners with special servicing needs, even though the role is behind the scenes.
- Maintain accurate and thorough documentation of all special servicing transactions.
- Keep detailed records of communication and actions taken for audit and compliance purposes.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements within the Special Products Team and contribute to enhancing overall operational efficiency.
- 2-3 years experience in financial services, particularly in loan servicing or mortgage operations.
- Familiarity with special loan products and an understanding of regulatory requirements, especially those related to SCRA-protected loans.
- Demonstrated expertise in managing complex loan transactions, including recasts, assumptions, successor in interest, and partial release requests.
- Knowledge of loan documentation, terms, and conditions, with a track record of accurate and compliant processing.
- In-depth understanding of relevant regulations, such as the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) and other laws governing special loan servicing.
- Experience ensuring compliance with industry regulations and implementing processes to meet legal requirements.
- Proven ability to approach servicing challenges with creativity and innovation, finding effective solutions for unique and complex loan scenarios.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changing circumstances while maintaining a focus on customer satisfaction.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively interact with internal teams and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams, including customer service, legal, and loan origination, to achieve common goals.
- Compensation: competitive salary and 401k plan
- Health & well-being: we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits
- Food & meals: in-office snacks and drinks, and Bagel Fridays
- Commuter benefits: We offer pre-tax deductions for public transportation, rideshare services, and parking expenses to make your commute more affordable and convenient.
- Grow together: Company wide orientation for you to successfully onboard and other learning & development opportunities including regular review cycles that feature 360 degree feedback
- Play together: quarterly budgets for team and company outings. Use it for team swag, cooking classes, or team dinners!
- Generous time off: 17 days paid time off, sick days, and 11 company holidays
- Baby bonding time!: 12 weeks off for both birthing and non-birthing parents - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition
Throughout the interview process, please remember that emails will only be from valon.com emails. We won't ever be asking for any personally identifiable information during the interview process itself. Please reach out to email@example.com if you have any requests to verify the authenticity of an outreach.
Valon is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. Valon makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.